Ithaca Blog

Friday, October 13, 2006

Weekend Conte$t: Friday the 13th

Ray Charles had a blues song about bad luck that starts with the lines, "I woke up this morning / I felt pretty good / I stretched and I yawned / Just to see if I could."

It turns out that would be the high point of Ray's day, which turned out to have as much bad luck as any Friday the 13th.

Friday the 13th is not part of the song, but "bad luck" is in the title, which went on to become a catch phrase, or more likely, already was. What is it?

Hint: bluesman Albert Collins had a hit with a song with the same name, though a different rendition.

The prize: a $10 gift certificate to Small World Music. One winner selected at random from correct answers, and one from incorrect answers. We reward not just expertise, but effort.
Contest open through Monday. Send your entry directly to Small World Music, at sworldmu@twcny.rr.com, or phone in it, 256-0428.

Good luck!

Stephen Burke
for Ithaca Blog

No comments: