Ithaca Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day

One thinks sometimes how it would be to have magic possession - a magic wand? - to make good things happen, or keep bad things from happening. Not grand scale things, which we know is not the order of things, from God's own track record. Little things would be enough.

What if one could wave away Eliot Spitzer ever having been in public life? I was thinking today, I don't know when I first heard the phrase "high-priced prostitute ring," but I know it wasn't as a kid asking my mother how the governor was doing.

A good magic wand would make cell phone calls billable by content, the way calls used to be priced very strictly by distance. Yesterday a guy shopping in produce at Wegman's was on the phone because he was thinking about buying a lemon. Whoa. Okay. That call should cost ten dollars.

I just realize, George Carlin has a routine called "Things I Could Do Without" that is maybe too similar to these musings. I like George Carlin as much as anyone does, but I could do without being a crabby old guy like him until my time comes. I'll use the possession right now to quiet myself.

peace
Steve Burke
for Ithaca Blog

No comments: