Ithaca Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

Spampinato Brothers at Castaways, Wed. 25 April

In the '90s, I was approached by some friends with children to coach their t-ball team. I knew the kids but was not a parent myself, so could avoid playing favorites.

I agreed to do it on the condition I got to name the team.

I named them the Sensational All-Stars And Friends Of Spampinato.

Joey Spampinato was a member of my favorite musical ensemble, the New Rhythm and Blues Quartet (NRBQ). The band has just recorded a song where they sang and spelled "Spampinato," in response to reporters who couldn't get the name right.

It was a lively chant, and I thought it would make a great theme song for a team, provided they were named Spampinato. So we were.

Joey is still playing music, no longer with NRBQ, but with his brother Johnny and their band. The Spampinato Brothers come to Castaways this Wednesday, 25 April.

The brothers are probably pushing 60, or actually pulling it, but have a rock and roll spirit that makes the music timeless. They sing harmonies in the style of the Everleys and Beatles. They write songs reminiscent of Liverpool, as well as Memphis, New Orleans, Motown, the Brill Building, Tin Pan Alley, and Belmont Avenue.

Years back, when Bill Wyman quit, the Rolling Stones asked Joey to join as their bass player. He said he would tour with them once, but had his own band.

Come hear what the Rolling Stones liked so much, this week at Castaways.

No comments: