Ithaca Blog

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Movies For The Possibly Shallow (Three Cheers)

I had to tell my movie (and other) friend JDD today, no and Holy Toledo, I do not wish to go see this picture, "Let The Right One In."

I never heard of it, and didn't need to, once I saw the website. The decision process took 20 seconds, or as long as it took me to read the words "dark" and "disturbing," and to see the promo picture of a young woman looking haggard yet bored as blood trickles out her mouth.

No, thanks. I know movies are an art form, and I don't mind being edified, but I don't want to be horrified. In most circumstances, I will prefer to see people not bleeding, and in the best situation, making jokes.

As Bob Dylan wisely noted long ago, it takes a lot to laugh, and just a train to cry (they take people away; they blow lonesome - emblematic, see).

We saw "Frost/Nixon" last night, and that was smart and serious, yet without any torture (except maybe Nixon, of himself).

Life has plenty of darkness and disturbance for me without inventing more. "Let The Right One In" is an ironically good title. It ain't me, babe. Likewise, I will prefer good dreams over nightmares, tonight.

Steve Burke
for Ithaca Blog

No comments: