Ithaca Blog

Monday, June 18, 2007

Contest Winner: Maybe Groucho Was Wrong...

... when he opined that there aren't many songs about fathers. Our contest entries cited the following:

Song for My Father - Horace Silver
My Daddy Was a Lovin' Man - the Harlem Hamfats
Poppa's Got a Brand New Bag/Don't Take No Mess - James Brown
Daddy Sang Bass/Played Dobro .... Johnny Cash, Jerry Douglas, et al.
Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast - Wayne Newton
Come to Papa - Bob Seger
My Hometown - Bruce Springsteen
Papa Was A Rollin' Stone - the Temptations

We honored an entry about a satiric "fatherland" from "The Producers," and "Hot Rod Lincoln," by Commander Cody (and Bill Kirchen), submitted for the lines,

They arrested me and threw me in jail
And they called my pappy to throw my bail
And he said son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin'
If you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln.

We had to honor it, Bill Kirchen is coming to town this week.

We were a little surprised at no mention of "Cat's In the Cradle," the most melodramatic song of father-induced trauma we can think of, and a song by an Ithaca guy, Harry Chapin. Perhaps Ithaca Blog readers are sunnier than that.

But the randomly selected winner was Marie, of Ithaca, the jazz fan of the bunch. Marie wins a $10 gift certificate to Small World Music. Congratulations to Marie, and thanks to all.

Steve Burke
for Ithaca Blog

No comments: