Ithaca Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crucifix Moon

Various friends of ours posted Facebook pictures of this month's full moon, with ice crystals giving it a rainbow effect, or a halo, depending on vantage point.

I was looking for such pictures last month, when December's full moon had a crucifix emanating from it.

I was hoping for confirmation, but didn't get it.

Did I imagine it? I had never seen nor heard of such a thing.

It shocked me, at 5 in the morning. I woke, and from bed,  looked out my western window. I saw the moon in the middle of a golden cross. The beams of the cross stretched as far as you could see.

At first I thought I was dreaming. Then I thought it must be a reflection in the window.

Nope. I got up and opened the window. The cross was in the sky.

It was wacky. I am from Brooklyn and don't know about things in nature like ice crystals by the moon. In Brooklyn we assumed religious phenomena are behind inexplicable things, especially mammoth golden crosses in the sky.

That morning I figured it was a sign from God about something, like play the lottery. Now I know better: or maybe not. Since I am bringing this up today, I will play a number tonight. If I hit, I will know it was not ice crystals, after all. It was God telling me play the Win 4.

Steve Burke
for Ithaca NY Blog

No comments: