Ithaca Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2010

New York Pizzeria and the NFL

We went to Trumansburg today to help out at a benefit there, but with another, non-altruistic motive: to bring home a pie (large, of course) from New York Pizzeria.

Of course there is plenty of pizza in Ithaca and we like all of it nicely, but NY Pizzeria's is the best in the region, we think. We looked forward to stocking our freezer with a box of this rarefied product.

Imagine our shock and chagrin to find, at 2 p.m. (on our way home), that NYP does not open until 4 p.m. on Sundays.

We understand about day of rest, and all that. Still, we wonder what gives - this time of year, when the NFL provides televised spectacles all Sunday, starting at 1 p.m.

It seems to us that Sunday starting at 1 p.m. is probably the prime pizza-buying time of the week.

Not that we sit around and watch the NFL much, although we wish we did. But we look at it a little, and when we do, see plenty of ads for Papa John's pizzeria, and also frozen varieties.

It's bad enough that you have to watch these cheesy (ha) ads, but then not to have a flavorful and authentic alternative to their cruddy products? It's unfortunate.

Not for us to tell the NYP people how to run their shop. But they do name themselves after the city that never sleeps. Where is the "if I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere" spirit when it comes to day-long game-day pizza?

As a non-resident of the famously proud town, I'll keep my nose out of T-burg's business, beyond this. But I think it is time for a sit-down, or even a walk-and-talk over there, you know what I'm saying?

Steve Burke
for Ithaca NY Blog

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm a native NYC chick who is obnoxiously picky about pizza, and NY Pizzeria truly IS the best pizza around. I live in Ithaca, but work in T-burg, which is the only reason I came to discover them. No place in Ithaca compares - this truly is the best thin crust! Sorry about the late opening on Sunday. To tell you the truth, in a sleepy little town like T-burg, I'm impressed they open on Sunday at all...

I asked them for a menu or business card at one point, so I could have their number on me to order a pie to bring after work... Turns out they do not MAKE take out menus or business cards! They print nothing whatsoever! Talk about a strange business model for a pizza place. Anyway, they wrote down their phone number on a slip of scrap paper and handed it to me!

Well, for the only decent pizza in Tompkins County, I'll take scrap paper...